You don't need to do the Inburgeringsexamen (nor the portfolio), if you do the NT2 exam part 1 or part 2

People often ask me if they need to do the Inburgeringsexamen after they passed the national NT2 exam part 1 or 2. You can save yourself a lot of time and work, because the answer is no. The diploma of each of these exams is considered to be enough to meet with the requirements of inburgering. The difference between these exams: the NT2 exams are merely focussed on the Dutch language, whereas the inburgerings-exam is more practically oriented, so not just language but also all sorts of practical things you need to know when you are living in the Netherlands. The language part of this exam is on a much lower level than the NT2 exams.

You might also like to know that you don't need to do part 1 before you do part 2 of the NT2 exam: you do either part 1 or part 2. Which part you choose depends on your education and on the type of job you are doing.
The level of the NT2 exam is quite high (level B1 and B2 of the European Framework of Reference). 
Here is a link to the FAQ department of the institute that organises the NT2-exams: het Centrum voor examens; this is where they explain that you only need to do one of these exams. Unfortunately (maybe) the major part of their site is in Dutch:

Good luck with your (only one) exam!


Select language


Cultural differences

During the lessons we are, of course, sensitive to cultural differences. It is often not just a question of how you say something, but what you say in which situation!

More information?

If you are interested in any of the Plezier in taal courses, please send an email to or call me on 06 (31) 16 51 00 78 for further information.